Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Simple, Fantastic Pozole!





 If only a picture could speak a million words.... is that how the saying goes?







Leftover turkey dreams about being turned into this spicy, beautiful soup. Pozole is one of my most cherished meals. I've only made it a couple of times from scratch because to make it authenticly requires a lot of prep work and an attention span that I seem to have temporarily traded in for  breaking up major LEGO disputes, tending to owie after owie and wiping noses. Basically just keeping 4 kids alive all day is my full time job right now.


As I mentioned earlier, we were lucky enough to enjoy T-Day dinner at our parents homes this year. I couldn't however pass up the opportunity for a turkey of my very own. And so roast I did. A big, beautiful, organic turkey that had a spa day treatment.  Rubbed in herbs and virgin olive oil then.....  I'll post that next, stay tuned.  Christmas turkey's are all the rage!


As I was saying, the leftover turkey possibilities were dangling above my head at night as did sugar plum fairies years ago. Pozole was numero uno on my 'must have' list this year and I vowed had no choice due to previous stated excuses but to make it simple, make it fast and most importantly not sacrificing the authentic flavour I so adore!



Mission Accomplished my Friends!










You Will Need:

2-3 cups cooked Turkey, chopped

1- 29 oz. can Hominy ( about 2 cups)

1- 28 oz. can *Enchiladas Verde's  ( green )

4 cups Organic Chicken broth

1 small yellow onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 cup cilantro, chopped

1 tablespoon Mexican Oregano ( use regular if you don't have)

sliced radishes for garnish, lots of radish!

lime wedges, lots of lime!

optional garnishes: chopped green cabbage .. mmmmm
sliced jalapenos ... oh yeah
low-fat sour cream .. for the kiddos
 


Putting it All Together:
 
In a large stock pot over med-high heat, saute onion for 4 minutes. Add garlic, saute 1 minute more. Add broth, stirring to incorporate browned bits. Add enchilada sauce, hominy, turkey, cilantro and oregano. Reduce heat and simmer till warmed through, about 10 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls, squeeze lime juice into.Garnish with a small handful of very thinly sliced radish ( my favorite part!), a small bit of chopped cabbage and jalapenos if your feelin feisty! Ole'!


 Ice cold cerveza optional but highly recommended!



Nope, there's nothing missing. That's it! Enjoy!



*If you'll be serving this to small children or for those of you who don't like any spiciness, I recommend Hatch's mild  Enchilada Verde sauce. Otherwise, I recommend Las Palmas Enchiladas verdes sauce.





                     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment