Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Spinach and Turkey Salad with Cranberry-Orange Dressing

Sugar free, Guilt free, Delicious-ness  ;)



I realize I'm a bit late in posting leftover T-Day turkey recipes. I'm sure most people have either ate up all of their turkey or are sick of the thought of turkey all together. Next year I will make a turkey early so as to get these delicious, healthy 'left over' turkey recipes out to you all sooner.


* disclaimer of the day ;-)
I'm still new to this whole blogging thing and how to be helpful and actually get people to try healthy foods. Also, I made my turkey a few days after T-Day since we ate the official meal at our parents homes this year. The only reason I made our turkey was for a few spectacular recipes I want to share.
 This salad was actually yet another last minute, 'What the heck are we going to have for dinner' recipe. Salad is a simple, healthy and perfect dinner especially following the Big T-Day stuffing of ones-self. 

The Cranberry-Orange dressing was spectacular! For those of you who still buy canned cranberry 'sauce' shame on you! Fresh cranberries are cheap, better for you and take less than 10 whole minutes to cook up! As I like to say, 'So simple even I can do it!' I was out shopping and running errands all day today and came home exhausted and was able to throw this together, cooking the cranberries and all, in 10 minutes flat. Fresh cranberries are so tart and delicious I buy several bags and freeze them for throughout the year.

I was so disappointed when browsing the Internet and blogs recently and saw that every cranberry sauce recipe ( that I came across) was literally loaded with sugar. I'm talking 1 1/2 - 2 CUPS of sugar per 12 oz. bag of cranberries!  Yikes!  That's more sugar than cranberries people! The upsetting part for me was that people were actually commenting things like " Wow, looks great!" and "Yum, wonderful recipe!"  I don't get it. Either people are totally addicted to sugar or don't actually read or care about the recipes and only want to put their face on popular sites or both. What's so wonderful about turning something so good for you into something so bad for you? Cranberries are supposed to be tart, their special that way. They get their feelings hurt when you smother them with sugar! I used a bit of Agave Nectar to balance them out along with fresh orange juice and zest. Perfect!
My kids ate them all up..... and without all of the added sugar!   * applause, cheer!!



For the salad: 

6 cups fresh baby spinach

2 cups cooked turkey, diced

1-12 oz. bag of fresh cranberries

1/4 of a small red onion, thinly sliced

1 juicy orange, juiced ;)

1/4 cup water

1 tablespoon orange zest

3/4 cup Agave Nectar

Raw Almonds, slivered or sliced


 In a sauce pot place cranberries, water, juice and zest. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool in refrigerator for a few minutes.
Place all other ingredients into a large salad bowl. Drizzle some of the cranberry dressing over salad and toss to coat. Top with more of the in tact cranberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment