Tuesday, December 14, 2010

DIY~ Children's Tea Towel Aprons

I've been looking for cute, affordable aprons for Jack and Nolan, my 4 and 5 year olds, for some time. They love to help me in the kitchen almost as much as they love personalized gifts. I was in JoAnne's Fabric last week and saw what I thought were children's apron's. As I  unfolded one and looked closer I found that they were actually cute little tea-towels for the Holiday's. The bottom of each towel was trimmed with  gathered fabric making them look like aprons to me. Each towel had a different embroidered Christmas picture on it and so I grabbed the cutest ones and set off to sew my boys and
my nieces some aprons for their Holiday Cookie Baking!

This defiantly falls into the " If I can do it, Anyone can do it" category. Sewing is NOT my forte'! This took me all of an hour to make 4 aprons and that's with baby Mona 'helping' me........



So here is a little photo tutorial I put together to show you how simple it is,
and how cute my son's and nieces are! ;)




1. Find cute Holiday Tea-Towel's on sale for $1.99 at craft store.


2. Turn towel over, fold down top to create desired length.
Fold over sides to make a steep triangle.
Iron



3. Sew along very top edge.


4. Sew 1"-2"  from the side of apron, leaving enough room to slip in your ribbon.


5. Slip ribbon into slot (just an inch or two) and sew on securely.
Sew ribbon onto the sides of the apron.
I found it helpful to have my 4 year old nearby to measure the lengths for the ribbons.


6. Embroider names on chest of apron. You could also use iron-on letters.


Voila! Aren't they cute?


I sent them to my adorable nieces in New York just in time for Holiday Cookie Baking!



My boys couldn't wait to put on their Christmas Baking Aprons and make Peppermint Chocolate Cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment