Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sweet Potato Casserole


Sweet potatoes, golden raisins, crushed pineapple and spices are topped with pecans and mini marshmallows, then baked until golden.

I've gotten several requests for sweet potato casserole in the past, to be honest with you, I've never been a fan. But I thought that was selfish of me, so I decided to make one here for all of you who do like it. I think the colors are beautiful and this would be a wonderful addition to your Thanksgiving table.

I tested this out on my sweet potato casserole loving aunt, and she thought it was delicious. She even enjoyed it with her family for dinner. My favorite part of the whole thing was the topping!

This recipe was adapted from a recipe for twice baked sweet potatoes in the White House Cookbook, Revised and Updated Centennial Edition I picked up in DC two weeks ago. I made the recipe exactly as written, then tweaked it a second time to my taste, and to make it into a casserole (I just can't leave a recipe alone).

The cookbook contains original recipes from the 1890's along with modern low-fat versions of each recipe. If you're a history buff, you'll find this book amusing with tips on how to avoid a cold, wash feathers, or make dresses "incombustible" as well as early table etiquette tips from 100 years ago. I'm giving this book away to one lucky winner on Skinny Bits so visit if you are interested, giveaway ends Sunday October 16th, good luck!

For the Sweet Potato Casserole recipe, continue reading...

Click Here To See The Full Recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment