Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pear-Gingerbread Cake





















Short and sweet is my middle name tonight. Take that as you will....

I don't make dessert very often, much to my children's dismay. Bad mommy. Truth be told I'm to freaking exhausted at the end of the day to even think about dessert. Not to mention the calories, dishes and most importantly, the expectations it creates for every. single. other. night of the week. Who wants to deal with all of that? Not me.

I saw this cake on one of my favorite 'Go to' sites,  Ask Georgie.  She's pretty awesome. Georgie is a registered dietician who lives in Colorado {jealous} and has some wonderfully creative and healthy recipes that are still fantastically delicious like this one....


'Pear-Gingerbread Cake'


* The only things I really changed was using Raw sugar for Splenda because I personally don't believe in Splenda. Man made/artificial = not good in my book. Also, I used coconut oil instead of canola oil.
The cake was just wonderful. Not to sweet at all, so some might pause to call it a dessert which is just fine with me. I am all about flavor versus sugar.







Like this post? Love my blog? Please vote for me
{Healthy Mamma}
on babble.com  for Top 100 mommy bloggers in 2011!




Pear Gingerbread Cake


recipe very slightly adapted from Ask Georgie



TIME  10 MINUTES PREP, 35 MINUTES BAKE     YEILDS 1- 9" round cake (I doubled)
Ingredients:

2 pears (not overripe)

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp ginger (ground)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh grated ginger root
2 Tablespoons milled flaxseed
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup Raw sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup unsulfered molasses
1/4 cup egg whites
2/3 cup skim milk (or Almond milk)


 
 
Putting it all together:
 
Preheat oven to 350. Cut a circle of parchment to fit the bottom of a round cake or springform pan. Slice the pears into thin slices and arrangle in the bottom of the pan in a circular pattern.
 
In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients well (flour through sugar). In a separate bowl, mix the oil, molasses, egg whites, and milk. Add a small amount of the dry ingredients to the wet ones, and stir to combine. Add the remaining dry ingredients, and stir just until the batter is uniform and no lumps remain.
Do not overbeat. Pour batter gently over slices pears and smooth.
 
Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Invert onto serving platter and gently remove parchment.






This post is linked to

Friday Potluck
Fresh Clean and Pure Friday's
Fun with Food Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment