Friday, March 25, 2011

Chardonnay Poached Salmon with Fennel and Orange - In the Crockpot!

I just wanted to make sure that this recipe was front and center. It may have been over looked  in my last post since the title suggested a post about wine and the fact that I was a Mad House Wife {in a cute and love able way}.

I am still dreaming about this recipe. It was perfect in every way. 
It was very simple and fuss free with only a few ingredients and prep work.
It was the most delicious salmon I've ever had in my life, and that's a lot.
The kids ate every bite of their second helpings and happily scooped up the salmon and veggies into their endive lettuce cups. I was thrilled that they were devouring healthy endive and loving it.
Lastly, using a crock pot was genius (I'm not tooting my own horn, I saw the method in Taste of Home magazine). It literally ensures a perfectly cooked and moist salmon.


So here is the recipe. Front and center. Please give it a try, I know you'll love it too.

You can serve the salmon like this for a pretty Hors d'oeuvers or fun, healthy and kid friendly finger foods
or, simply serve the fish over some cous cous.


Cous Cous with cinnamon, curry and currants




You Will Need:


2 lbs. *wild salmon fillet, skinned.
1 cup fresh orange juice
2 cups chardonnay (I used Mad Housewife)
1 bulb fennel, sliced
1 small red onion, sliced
1 tablespoon capers
1 teaspoon French grey sea salt


Garnishes:
Endive lettuce cups
1 Orange thinly sliced
Fennel fronds



Putting it all together:

Fold a 36 inch piece of aluminum foil lengthwise to a width slightly larger than the salmon fillet. Place foil in a 4-6 qt. slow cooker with foil ends hanging over the handles.


Combine orange juice, Chardonnay, fennel, onion, capers and salt in the slow cooker. Place salmon on top. Cover and cook on high heat setting for 45-60 minutes.

Test salmon for doneness at 45 minutes by using a fork to gently pull at salmon. When it easily flakes it is done. Test every 5 minutes after 45 min until done.

When salmon is done, remove it from the slow cooker by carefully lifting the ends of the foil and placing it on a platter. Using a fork, scoop into endive cups, crackers or on top of cous cous. Dollop with a bit of Caper Creme Sauce, recipe to follow.



Caper Creme Sauce:

1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons red onion, diced
1 tablespoon capers
Tabasco or Hot sauce if you please


Whip cream with sour cream and orange juice until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes. Gently fold in capers and onion, season with hot sauce if you like.





Into the slow cooker you go. See you in 45-60 minutes.

capers add the all important salt factor to the fish





Like this post? Love my blog? Please vote for me

{Healthy Mamma}
It would mean the world to me!
(I'm currently on page 3, #125)  ;}


Thanks!





This post is linked to




No comments:

Post a Comment