Monday, January 9, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken a la Criolla


Criolla (literally creole) is a Spanish word widely used to describe Caribbean or Hispanic cuisine. In this simple yet flavorful dish, boneless skinless chicken thighs are stewed in the slow cooker with bell peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, olives, cilantro and spices. Served over rice, this is one tasty and inexpensive meal for 9 points plus!


As promised, I played around with my crock pot last night making this easy yet flavorful dish which requires no pre-cooking on the stove. In most cases, I think it's always best to brown the chicken, onions and garlic in a skillet before adding it to a slow cooker because it adds a depth of flavor you just don't get when you skip that step. That being said, for this dish I didn't think it was necessary because it has so many aromatics, herbs and spices that flavor is not lacking.

Because slow cookers tend to mute the flavors from the long cooking times on low heat, you should always taste it at the end and adjust the spices and salt if needed. Also, adding extra fresh herbs at the end is always a must in my opinion.

This dish was loved by all in my house, including my two year old. Enjoy!!

Click Here To See The Full Recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment