Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Crab Hush Puppies w Chili con Carne
























When I was little my mom let us choose what ever we wanted for dinner on our birthday's.  My brother and sisters used to pick pizza, fajitas and Mac n' Cheese. Normal things that most normal kids love. I however, am not now nor have ever been entirely  normal. I looked forward to my birthday dinner and as early as  I can remember I requested seared jumbo sea scallops in garlic butter and home made hush puppies. Sweet, crispy,  hot hush puppies. I haven't had them in years. I've never even attempted to make them myself! Not until tonight. Boy oh  boy did I miss them. 






I came across a recipe for crab hush puppies in 'Smart Cooking the Costco Way' and knew I needed to make them immediately. A year later I actually did.

They were worth the wait. I didn't have my jumbo sea scallops but opted instead to serve them with my world famous home made chili. I had left over roast beef from enchiladas and so I came up with a chili con carne that was sweet, spicy and wonderful.    My hush puppies were in love immediately.








If you love all things spicy like we do, don't forget to add a tablespoon or two of your favorite hot sauce right into the batter. If you have kids who are wimps like ours are, save the hot sauce to serve along side of these babies. I personally recommend Srirachi Hot Sauce which you can find in the Asian aisle of most grocery stores. Nom.








Crab Hush Puppies
4-6 cups grape seed oil for frying  {please see note below}
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt (yes, that's correct)
1-2 tablespoons of your fav hot sauce
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 lb Dungeness crab meat {I used fresh/jarred claw meat from the meat counter}
5 large green onions, thinly sliced
extra hot sauce to dash on the puppies or tarter sauce if your wimpy



Heat oil in a heavy 4-quart pan over med-high heat until it registers 350F on a deep-fry thermometer. Preheat oven to 170F.
While the oil is heating, stir together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together hot sauce, eggs and milk then add to the cornmeal mixture and stir until combined. Fold in crab.
Carefully, drop batter by small spoon fulls into heated oil. Don't over crowd the pan. Cook 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown, adjusting heat as necessary. Transfer with a slotted spoon or fork to paper towels to drain briefly. Transfer each batch of hush puppies to a shallow baking pan and keep warm in oven till ready to serve. Add more oil in between batches as needed and let heat back up to 350F {I don't own a thermometer, I just put my hand close to the oil and guess can expertly tell when it's ready, usually just 30 seconds or so after adding more oil.}
Serve immediately.



note:

Grape seed oil has a moderately high smoke point of approximately 216 °C (421 °F). As a result, it is more ideal than several other cooking oils for high temperature cooking and can be safely used to cook at moderate temperatures during stir frying, sauteeing or deep frying. Due to its clean, light taste, and high polyunsaturated fat content, it is also used as an ingredient in salad dressings and mayonnaise and as a base for oil infusions of garlic, rosemary, or other herbs or spices.






Hello darlings.





For the chili con carne:

Pretty self explanatory but I suggest using R.W. Knudsen 'Very Veggie' juice for the base. Lots of stewed tomatoes, beans, mushrooms, onions, lots of garlic and chili powder. I used corn since I was using the roast beef (carne) this time, they just go good together in my opinion.








No comments:

Post a Comment