Thursday, June 9, 2011

Summer Broccoli-Citrus Salad with Prosciutto and Almonds





I was lucky enough to be invited to do a guest post on one of my absolute favorite blogs, Perry's Plate. What an honor. Natalie and I share a common interest in healthy and wonderful food so I had to come up with something not only healthy but delicious and fun as well. In sticking with the Simply Healthy Family standard, I also wanted to keep the dish simple and fuss free. Real Food for Real People. This is a dish anyone  can make and yet be proud to serve at a picnic or party. Please do stop by Natalie's beautiful site for this recipe and for your dinner, breakfast and dessert inspiration.


My dad was kind enough to invite all of us over to his gorgeous home for a big family BBQ last week. The weather was absolutely divine here in the suburbs of Phoenix and the huge trees in his backyard and constant cool breeze blowing through them made for a perfect backyard BBQ.

My dad is extremely serious about his landscape. It's a crazy passion that all of us 9 kids tease him about. He is very aware if even one single small plant or shrub 'burns out' or is looking sickly and is on top of it immediately. His front and back yards are huge and the variety and beauty of the artfully arranged desert vegetation far surpasses the Botanical Gardens in my opinion. Just ask him the name of a newly planted specimen and he will gladly tell you all about it's origin and why it is planted exactly where it is. Funny guy. It does create a very serene setting to sit and relax  next to the pool with friends and family. We are lucky ducks.



Oh, my point and I do have one....

The BBQ. Typically, BBQ's are not the healthiest of events. You have your hamburgers, hot dogs or other hunks of meat. Then there are the sides which usually include one or more of the following unhealthy foods: Potato Salad, Cole Slaw, 7 Layer Bean Dip, Macaroni Salad, Ambrosia Fruit Salad,
 Baked {sugary} Beans, Potato Chips and Soda or Lemon Aid.


I have been given the stink eye when ever I've mentioned that I am not in love with any of these foods (o.k., maybe the bean dip). Nope, not even hamburgers. And it's not just because they are unhealthy or because I have anything against meat per say, well that's not entirely true, but that's a whooooole other story. I simply just don't care for those types of foods. They are heavy, greasy,  mayonnaise-e and leave me feeling Yucky.

I'd much rather have a salad that's a real salad. Which in my view isn't covered up in mayo or smothered with cheese or Ranch Dressing. I honestly prefer to taste my veggies and to brighten their natural flavors with, well, natural flavors. What a concept huh? Take this Summer Broccoli Salad for instance.
Typically, in my experience at least, when you see a broccoli type salad at a picnic, BBQ, or get together it is tossed in some sort of creamy dressing and that's if there's a broccoli salad at all, usually it's 3 different varieties of potato salad.






I made this salad very light and healthy yet still sweet, salty and tangy, perfect for an outdoor summer supper. By very quickly blanching the broccoli, then tossing it with lemon and mandarin juices whisked with a drizzle of Organic honey it becomes a treat for the tastebuds. To make it worthy of a party side dish, I added oh-so-wonderful Prosciutto and tossed it all together with Mandarin orange segments and thinly sliced almonds which gently stuck to the broccoli giving the salad a bit of a toasty crunch.








Roll up 2 pieces of thinly sliced prosciutto and cut into thin strips.






Remember to visit Perry's Plate for the entire recipe and say hi! 


No comments:

Post a Comment