Friday, June 10, 2011

Salpicón


Salpicón is a fresh homemade Colombian fruit beverage. It's served cold and loaded with chopped fruit such as watermelon, papaya, strawberries, pineapple, oranges, apples, bananas and carbonated soda. Serve it with a spoon to eat the fruit then drink the juice when the fruit is all gone. Thirst quenching on a hot summer day and perfect as an afternoon snack or dessert.



It's been years since I walk the busy cobblestone streets of Colombia filled with street vendors in the center of town. A tropical country with a warm climate and an abundance of fresh fruit year round. How I loved to sample all the wonderful assortment of tropical fruits, delicious street food and beverages unique to that country. Salpicón was one of those treats I never forgot. I actually searched for the recipe I while back but couldn't find one, then just last week I found out my aunt makes this all the time! So thanks to my aunt, you too can try this delicious fresh homemade fruit punch too.

This makes a large amount and would fill a large punch bowl; great for back yard parties. Although it's usually made with champagne kola, I made this with Sprite Zero instead and thought it tasted just as good. You could really use any sparkling soda you desire, we even played around with a fresh watermelon juice/seltzer combo to give you healthier options.

As for the fruit, watermelon and fresh pineapple is a must as it gives you lots of juice; you could substitute whatever fruit is in season near you. Mango and peaches would be great too and you could certainly make half the amount.

Click Here To See The Full Recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment