Thursday, November 18, 2010

Simple Chilled Gazpacho! "Give a Kid a Straw!"

This is part of a 'new' series I've been thinking about ever since I wrote the post about "Bok Choy Stir Fry with Asian Marinated Tofu" and got my kids to eat it by giving them cute hand painted chop sticks ~
" Give a Kid Some Chop Sticks"
All I have to do is give my kids a straw and they will drink anything! If your kids are new to veggie juices/monster smoothies etc. try putting it in a solid color cup with a straw. Maybe even a Starbucks cup or something they think is cool!



This is another habit I've gotten from my health nut mom. One of those things I wrinkled my nose at initially, but now can't live without.  I've never been a big breakfast eater, which I'm sure you've all heard is not good for you. So I used to drag around here in the morning for a couple of hours before I really woke up and felt like I had any energy. Four cups of coffee later I would start to wake up but still felt blah! Now, I wake up, have a glass of cold water which kicks your metabolism into gear and yes,  I still have a cup of coffee while I get the kids fed and ready for the day but then I whip up a glass of gazpacho for my breakfast! Chilled gazpacho in the morning gets ya movin and groovin!

This is a powerhouse of vitamins and protein! So many good things for you in this zesty little glass of juice. Some of you may still be thinking, 'Gazpacho for breakfast, I don't think so.' and that's o.k. I was stubborn too once, you'll come around if you know what's good for you! I started having this for an early lunch then once I realized how yummy it was and how good it made me feel I started drinking it for breakfast, not first thing but after my coffee... first things first.










Why in the morning you ask?  After sleeping all night your metabolism and GI system are in sleeping mode and you are essentially starting fresh. The worst thing you can do is wake up and have something that is going to raise your glycimic index quickly. Most cereal's are culprits as are muffins, breakfast sandwiches, juices and some fruits. It's best to eat something Raw before every single meal do help with digestion and stabilize the glycimic index, which really helps with weight loss.


Really, you could throw any veggies you like into this. The base should be a Low-Sodium, preferably organic veggie juice. I love R.W. Knudsen brand, 'Very Veggie'  It has wonderful ingredients and no additives!

      
MAKES  6 CUPS (48 OZ. )   ABOUT 4 SERVINGS
At the very least, this is what I throw into the blender:
2 tablespoons Hemp Seeds ( put in first to keep them from flying all over the blender and sticking to sides)
1/2 small head of cabbage, cut into chunks
celery
1 clove garlic, smashed and cut into small pieces
2 cups ( 16 oz.) Veggie Juice ~ low-sodium! preferably organic and in a glass jar ( not plastic or a can)
* other ideas: purple onion ( this is when my 5 year old won't drink it, but I like it)
spinach, kale etc. carrots or beets to make it sweeter, flax seeds etc.


Shelled Hemp seeds are an excellent source of protein at 11 grams per serving,
Omega 3's, and all 10 essential Amino Acids!



Did you know garlic lowers blood pressure and bad cholesterol, has cardiovascular and respiratory benefits? Garlic also aids in digestion, is an antioxidant, anti-viral and anti-bacterial super hero?



I Love my new Ninja blender! Blends up the smoothest gazpacho I've ever had! *booo Cuisinart...




I didn't think you'd believe me so here's the proof,  my kids really L.O.V.E Gazpacho!
This is also part of a new series I've been thinking about " Give a kid some [chopsticks] ". Basically, tips, tricks and games to get your kids excited about eating new and healthy foods.
So this would be, " Give a Kid a Straw"  and they'll even drink gazpacho!

 Going, going.....

Gone
 Seriously, she didn't even take her mouth off of the straw and sucked down the whole glass!



Nolan gives his thumbs up of approval!
Jack (not pictured) who is 5 years old and my 'picky eater' is hit or miss with gazpacho. Some days he'll drink it, other days he won't.














I am submitting this to Kahakai Kitchen for her 'Souper Sunday's event! Stop by for the love of soup!







No comments:

Post a Comment