Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Iron Foodie 2010 Challenge

Why do you want to compete in this challenge?

I've been coming across so many food challenges lately all across the blogosphere and beyond that I had no interest in joining. This particular one really caught my eye for 3 reasons.
  1. Only a small number of contestants are being chosen to do this cooking challenge. It isn't overly inflated, just good old competitive fun!  Not only would this be fun and exciting, but my competitive gene would kick into high gear at the honor of being one of the chosen few. :-)
  2. I went to the sponsor, Marx Foods website and was thoroughly impressed by the selection of gourmet foods and ingredients that they offer to accommodate your wildest culinary adventures. Moreover, I was impressed  by their dedication to the environment. They have a wide variety of sustainably caught seafood, heirloom vegetables, herbs and more. Being 'green' is very important to me and so I would be thrilled to be a part of this contest! 
  3. The obvious, I am passionate about cooking. I always have been dedicated to healthy eating and now in my adulthood I am experimenting more with foods outside of my comfort zone. Honing in on different cultures and ingredients, being creative and open-minded about food. This challenge would really come as a great gift to me.



Limitations of time/space notwithstanding, whose kitchen would you like to spend the day in and why? Julia Child, Thomas Keller, Ferran Adria, James Beard, Marie-Antoine Careme, or The Swedish Chef?

Michael Chiarello. Oh be still my heart. He is just the coolest guy ever. Everything about him radiates a passion for life, family and cooking. He shares my views on sustainability and my love for everything Italian.  I loved watching his show as often as I could before I banned cable in our home. His down to Earth personality and his  amazing good looks easy going approach to entertaining for family and close friends makes him my first and only chef I'd give my first born child  anything to spend a day with, err in the kitchen.


What morsel are you most likely to swipe from family and friends’ plates when they aren’t looking?

Garlic, hands down. I suppose in all honesty it's not exactly stealing since there are an unfortunate number of people out there who don't share my love for garlic. I do however put a lavish amount of it in just about everything just so I can pick it out of my kids bowls. Sneaky!




Sum your childhood up in one meal.

Oh alright, but it's not very exciting. Beans and fish with a side of greens and if we were really lucky, rice "pudding" for dessert. Growing up my dad was a student and then started an Engineering company so we didn't have a lot of money. That paired with the fact that my mom was and still is an over-the-top health nut, meant that we had a lot of beans and rice and fish. It's funny how life comes full circle because what I detested as a child I now appreciate and love. I am proud to say that I am now a mom of 4 very healthy, only sometimes unappreciative children who almost always eat their beans, greens and fish!


The one mainstream food you can’t stand?

Just one? I guess I would have to say mayonnaise. I hate everything about it, in fact, I just don't get it at all!  I mean yuck! Not only is it so bad for you but it's thick and slimy and tastes like.... well I'll just stop at that.




So, there you go!  I hope I get chosen to partake in the challenge. Wish me luck foodies!

~Gwen






Iron Foodie 2010 </P> <P></P> <P>Here's Why that will be me:
MarxFoods.com -- Fine Bulk Foods The Foodie BlogRoll

No comments:

Post a Comment