Monday, March 5, 2012

Irish Oatmeal Leek Soup


A classic Irish soup also known as Brotchán Roy, traditionally served during Lent.


When I first discovered Brotchán Roy, otherwise known as the King's Soup, I knew I would love it. It was said to have been the favorite dish of Ireland's celebrated sixth-century spiritual and literary icon, St. Columkille. 


I'm no stranger to oatmeal soup; growing up some of my favorite soups Mom prepared were made with oats. Even as an adult, I love the creamy texture of a hearty bowl of oatmeal soup – total comfort food!

Steel cut oats are loaded with fiber, they are great for your heart and give the soup a wonderful texture. If you don't have steel cut oats, you can use Quaker oats, reducing the cooking time to about 25 minutes. If you're on a gluten free diet, make sure your oats are labeled gluten-free. This is my modified take on the classic, hope you like it!




Click Here To See The Full Recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment