Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Tiger Pumpkin Pasta with Chicken-Apple Sausage

Man, there are a LOT of awesome food blogs out there! I can tell everyone is excited about the Fall season what with all the yummy pumpkin recipes out there! Fall is most defiantly my favorite season for all of the usual reasons. It's hard to really enjoy all the season has to offer when you live in Phoenix. Without the fresh, crisp air or trees that change colour. We also are about a month or so behind when it comes to Fall Produce like pumpkins. So I debated about whether or not to post my favorite pumpkin recipes since most foodies have been doing so for several weeks now already. Then I remembered a very important thing... It's my blog and I can do whatever I want! Yay for me!

I adore pumpkins! Love them to bits. I love the taste of them and the amazing variety of pumpkins to choose from.  I think the thing I  love most about pumpkins is that they are one of the few things around here that really signify the start of Autumn and the end of a very long, hot, relentless summer.


My spooky Tiger Pumpkins



Originally, I wanted to find some white pumpkins for a creamy, white "Alfredo" sauce. Alas, there were none at the farmers market that day. I thought these Tiger Pumpkins were cute and my 4 year old agreed that we should pick several out and take them home with us.





I don't think most people realize that Pumpkins are easy to prepare!
Using a large knife, score the pumpkin and either see-saw through it or tap it on the counter top like I do.


I wish someone would invent an olfactory widget for blogger!!!

 Start to prepare pumpkin about 2 hours before you want dinner served. It is easier to scoop out roasted flesh when they are not hot.
Using a spoon, scoop out seeds and strings. Save the seeds to roast and snack on or sprinkle on top of soups!
Place on a roasting pan and roast at 400F for 45-60 minutes.








You Will Need:

1 lb. Pasta ( I use Quinoa pasta, a whole grain, complete protein and gluten free)

1 small head of broccoli, chopped

1 small pumpkin, roasted

1-2 cups unsweetened Almond Milk

2 tablespoons nutritional yeast ( optional, but it gives a nice nutty cheese flavor and is packed w vitamins)

1 cup baby bella mushrooms, chopped

1 small onion, chopped

Chicken-Apple sausage

nutmeg, sage, Kosher salt and pepper to taste.




To prepare pasta:

Cook pasta according to directions, add chopped broccoli to water in the last 3 minutes.

Slice sausage, add to pan, cook till browned. Remove from heat, leave a bit of fat in the pan.

Saute onion for 3 minutes till soft and browned. Add a bit of EVOO to pan, add chopped baby bella mushrooms. Let them cook without moving them around to much.

To prepare pumpkin Alfredo sauce. Scoop roasted pumpkin flesh out of shell. Put in blender. Add nutritional yeast and Almond milk to desired consistency. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg, sage, salt and cracked pepper.






I am submitting this low-fat dish to La Bella Vita for Fresh Clean and Pure Friday! Check out her lovely blog for so many wonderful, fresh recipes.


No comments:

Post a Comment