Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Cauliflower-Yam Bisque



It's still in the high 90's here in Phoenix, but I can't wait any longer for my favorite Fall foods. Sometimes I really think I live in the wrong climate zone for my personality and wants. I have a closet full of cute boots and thick sweaters and jackets that I only get to wear once or twice a year. My attempts at gardening have been futile for the most part due to the heat and horrible rocky "soil". And I love soups, chili's and bisques. It's not quite as enjoyable eating chili when it's 98 degrees outside in October. Oh well, I'll get over my "grass is greener on the other side of the hill" attitude and move on.

Yesterday, it was ever so slightly cloudy out and so I jumped at the chance to make this Cauliflower-Yam bisque for lunch. The kids actually love this dish and so it makes it a bit more enjoyable to make. It's so super easy too, that's the name of the game here at Simply Healthy Family. I use my pressure cooker and simply tear the cauliflower into thirds along with the yam. I chop the yam in big chunks so they cook evenly. That's the beauty of a pressure cooker, I've never messed up anything! It locks in moisture which means no lost vitamins and minerals through the steam, that also means more flavorful tasting foods! It took 3 minutes to cook  a big head of cauliflower and 2 yams.




Thank you Deb at  kahakai kitchen and Tina at Mom's Crazy Kitchen for hosting such a fun idea. Every sunday is souper sundays and bloggers from all over the world get the chance to share their favorite soups, stews, chili's and anything else you can slurp with a spoon. My bisque is linked up on her website this week. Hop on over for plenty of warm, feel good recipes to get you through the Fall and Winter months.


                            








Place a trivet in bottom of pressure cooker. Add 1 cup Organic chicken broth or water. I like the flavor and vitamins from broth. Add 1 head cauliflower and 2 yams. Turn stove on to high heat. Secure lid onto pressure cooker. Bring to 1st red ring, lower heat to lowest setting set timer for 3 minutes.
Bring pressure down naturally or by running water over lid.






Using an immersion blender on high, blend to combine cauliflower and yams.





In goes ze buttah.




 Add 1 cup almond milk OR half and half or heavy cream. Blend untill very smooth.




I add a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper medley 
and garnish with chives.





Bon Apetite!





No comments:

Post a Comment