Monday, July 19, 2010

Puerto Penasco Ceviche




This is the best ceviche I've ever had. My dad has a house in Las Conchas Mexico that our family loves spending time at. Of course my favorite part is sitting on the beach and eating fresh seafood. My husband and I like to go down to Puerto Penasco to the warf and pick up fresh shrimp and fish to grill while we're there. The little taco stands along the beach serve up some wonderful ceviche, my favorite! They serve theirs with saltine crackers and plenty of ice cold cerveza, Mmmmmmm! I like to use tortilla chips to scoop up my ceviche, probly because I can get more into my mouth at a time!

My friend Lia made some ceviche  for us a long time ago and it was amazing!  I have played around with the ingredients to come up with what I think is the best ceviche recipe ever. 

A couple of tips I've learned when making ceviche:
1. Blanch your seafood quickly in salted, boiling water.  The citric acid in the limes cooks the fish so you would never know you were eating raw fish in fact, it is not raw. The longer you let the fish marinate, it will start to break down and get mushy, this is why I blanch mine in boiling water, it helps cook it a bit without having to sit in the citrus for to long. Does that make sense? ;-/
2. Even though you don't want to let the fish sit in the lime juice by itself for more than a couple of hours, ceviche tasted great the next day when all the other ingredients have had some time to get to know each other!









You Will Need:
Serves  6-8    TIME  2 hours

2  pieces fresh Mahi Mahi (or other firm white fish)
1  pound seafood mix; scallops, calamari and shrimp  (I get mine at Trader Joe's  )
6 limes, juiced
1 bunch cilantro
3 cups tomato juice cocktail {look for one that does not contain High Fructose Corn Syrup!}
1 medium seedless cucumber
1 medium red onion, diced
1-2 fresh jalepenos, veins removed & diced
3 firm, ripe avacado
2 teaspoons red chili salt
1 tabelspoon sea salt for boiling water
Tortilla chips



Putting it all together:


Boil water in a large stock pot, add sea salt. Chop thawed Mahi Mahi into small bite sized pieces. Add fish and seafood mix to stock pot. You want to blanch the seafood for only 30 seconds, NO MORE.  Drain seafood in collander. Spread fish and seafood mix in a deep baking dish, Cover with lime juice and cover with foil.  Place in refridgerator for about 1-2 hours. The longer you let the fish "cook" in the citric acid, the mushier they will get.   Chop cucumber, avacado and onion into small pieces. Chop cilantro. Remove marinated seafood mix from fridge and combine all ingredients except tortillas. Chill at least 1 hour. Serve chilled with tortilla chips. 














This post is linked to Cookin Canuck ~ Wake up with California Avocado

No comments:

Post a Comment