Monday, July 5, 2010

Gluten Free Coconut Cake with Fresh Berries




This was probly one of the best cakes I have ever had! I have only recently been attempting to bake gluten free ( most of the time) It has been a rocky journey. So far, I have yet to make a GF loaf of bread that doesn't weigh as much as a brick or crumble apart when you touch it. *sighhhh  I am not a big bread lover anyway so decided I would only make a couple of loaves of bread a month and stick with the oatmeal bread recipe I have and love. My mom has developed a serious gluten allergy and I have heard for quite some time about the health dangers involved with gluten. It's everywhere and in much higher concentrations than in the recent past.




Anyway.... this cake was SO GOOD! I altered the recipe my mom gave me only slightly by usuing 2 less eggs &   half cocnut flour and half white rice flour. It was perfect, you could taste the coconut but it wasn't overly coconutty (yes that's a word....) I was so happy that it turned out super moist and not to sweet. I don't like frosting... too sweet, so I blended triple berry preserves with fresh strawberries and swirled it into the cake batter, YUMMM!  I wanted a simple American Flag Cake so only used a few lines of berries but next time I will definatley be using more berries!  After it was cooked and cooled, I dusted it with just a little powdered sugar and sprinkled it with unsweetened coconut flakes. So good.





You Will Need:

2-1/2 sticks butter, softened
1-1/3 c organic (raw) sugar
8 large eggs, room temp
1 c coconut flour, sifted
1 c white rice flour
2 t baking powder
1/4 t sea salt
1-1/3 c + 1 T milk
1 T vanilla
Coconut oil

optional:
fresh blueberries or other berries
1/4 cup unsweetend coconut flakes
3 tbsp powdered sugar

for the strawberry swirl:
1/2 cup organic berry compote
1 cup fresh, hulled strawberries
Put in a bowl and with an emersion blender pulse a few times till blended ( mini food processor workst too)


Putting it all together:


     Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  With pastry brush, grease two round 8-9" or one 9x13" cake pans with coconut oil and dust with coconut flour.
     In bowl of electric mixe fitted with whisk attachment, beat butter and sugar together about 5 minutes on medium high speed, til light and fluffy, scraping bowl occasionally.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
     In separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients together.  Add vanilla to milk.  With mixer on low speed, add flour and milk to butter-egg mixture, scraping bowl when needed.  When all the milk and flour mixture is used up, bat cake batter about 5 minutes, til the color is a bit lighter and batter is light and fluffy.
     Spoon batter into prepared cake pan(s) and smooth out tops.  Bake in oven 30-35 minutes, or til toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
     Place cake pans on wire rack and let cool 5 minutes in the pan.  Run a butter knife along edges of cake before removing from pan.




PRINT THIS RECIPE!





http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/Coconut_Flour_Recipes.pdf (with variations)

No comments:

Post a Comment