Tuesday, July 6, 2010

No-Bake Fig Jam







Several days ago I was at our local Sprouts and came across these beautiful fresh figs. They begged me to take them home with me and so I happily loaded them up in my basket and brought them home. I have been waiting patiently for months until fig season to make a recipe I found with white bean puree, leeks and figs..... you'll have to wait for the post. ;-) Mmmmmmm.

Anyway, I didn't realize that fresh figs were so very delicate and only were happy for a couple of days. I wasn't quite ready to make my recipe, my rosemary filone dough was still fermenting. The thought of wasting such a beautiful fruit breaks my heart, so I came up with this super easy recipe. Fig Jam. This literally took me 3 minutes to make!!!





If you haven't had fresh figs I invite you to try them very soon. They are in season now through the next couple of months, depending on your location. I have had dried figs many times and adore them. I was so surprised at how tender, sweet and delicious fresh figs were! You simply wash them like all fruit, cut the little stems off and slice them in half. There are no pits, just itty bitty little seeds which are totally edible and pop in your mouth for a sweet crispy surprise. The variation I bought had the texture of a ripe peach, but not as juicy.
I will be going back to Sprouts today for more fresh figs to make my in my secret recipe tonight! Check back soon for the post! Enjoy!


** Update. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, check to see if they have fresh figs in stock. They were almost half the price as Sprouts and Sprouts is usually pretty cheap!

Also, check out my post on figs for handling, drying and recipes!









For the Fresh Fig No-Bake Jam

You Will Need:

4 cups stemmed ripe figs (about 3 pounds)

1 cup Raw sugar or 3/4 cup Agave Nectar

3 ounces No Bake Pectin Granules


PROCEDURE:

Gently Wash and Chop figs by hand. In a large bowl, combine sugar and pectin. Add figs, stir and smush with a whisk until it becomes jammy. ;-)

Store in an airtight glass container and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks. Use on toast, bagels, yogurt, ice cream, oatmeal etc.

* I save my applesauce and tomato jars and re-use them for jams, tea, pasta, beans etc.


Yields: 3 pint jars






click here for my   Everything About Figs post





No comments:

Post a Comment