Monday, July 30, 2012

Beyond Broccoli! Swiss Chard and Herbed Feta Omelet with Sunflower Seeds

















Today I felt very, very glamorous. Like a movie star even. I scrounged through my closet, dusting off slinky pieces of silken camisoles and scarves that haven't seen the light of day in more than a decade. I carefully picked through my single drawer full of make up for a shade of eye shadow and a tint of lip gloss that would make me look glamorous without making me look desperately like I was grasping on to my  twenties  for dear life.






Why do you ask would I put myself through such torture? Because I, Gwen Wilson had been generously offered to do an official photo shoot with a real, live, professional photographer who is used to shooting twenty-something models from L.A. California.

 My neighbor and friend, Ron Brewer who recently moved here from L.A. very graciously offered to take my son's senior pictures a few months ago at NO  cost. They  turned out so, so amazing and it is a gift that we will cherish forever. At the same time he offered to do a photo shoot of me which I had mixed feelings about. Mostly it sounded like a lot of fun and a great opportunity but really, who was I kidding?  What was I going to do with  a bunch of pictures of myself looking like a tired mom-of-four?



Deep breaths..... Nice.. Calm.. Deeeeeeep breaths.......

Say's Me to myself and I:

I am not too fat. 

I am not too old.

I AM  a confidant, fun, happy-go-lucky sort of girl who can and  WILL  embrace  all of life's adventures and opportunities at the drop of a hat and  GO WITH IT!








Here are a few shot's of Britton that Ron took.






















Pretty cool huh?




I haven't even seen the final photos from my shoot yet but it turns out I had a  lot  of fun. I felt pretty. I felt glamorous. It was a far, far cry from the every day routine of  mommy-hood.



What does this have to do with Swiss Chard Omelets?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.  Other than the fact that today was a good day followed by an even better dinner. A dinner that took about 10 minutes to prepare and cook and one that all 4 kids ate willingly and happily. A dinner that I could feel very good about serving to my family and eating myself. One that I know YOU  will love too.



Without further ado,



Swiss Chard and Herbed Feta Omelet with Sunflower Seeds:






Swiss Chard and Herbed Feta Omelet with Sunflower Seeds:
SERVES 4      PREP TIME    10 MINUTES     COOK TIME    5 MINUTES    


Ingredients:
8 eggs (figure about 2 eggs per person)
1 small bunch swiss chard
1 small green zucchini
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup Raw unsalted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup herbed feta cheese
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
Optional:
Diced avocado


Putting it all together:
Roughly chop swiss chard and rinse thoroughly. Chop zucchini into small pieces. Smash garlic and mince, set aside. Finely chop green onion, set aside.
Whisk together eggs, salt and pepper.
 In a large cast iron or caphalon skillet, over medium-high heat, add oil. When hot, toss in swiss chard, let sit for a minute. Toss with a spoon. Add zucchini and toss to coat, let sit so for a minute so it will brown. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute. Do Not let garlic burn!
Pour eggs into skillet. Let sit for 1 minute without stirring!
Push eggs towards center of skillet with flat spoon working your way around the pan.
Add feta. slowly keep pushing eggs towards center of skillet until just set.
Remove from heat. Garnish with green onions and avocado.















Don't forget the sunflower seeds! They are a strong source of Vitamin E, Magnesium and detoxifier.













No comments:

Post a Comment