Thursday, April 7, 2011

Mini Cheddar-Dill & Saffron Scones and Get Happy Tea: A Home Made Gift for a Friend



























My friend Azmina over at Lawyer Loves Lunch posted these wonderful scones not to long ago on her blog. I knew right away they were the perfect thing to make for a friend of mine who recently lost her mother. I also would like to send them to my dear friend Monet in Austin who as many of you know recently lost her sister and nephew in a horrible accident. These two people have both touched my heart in different ways and I can only hope to send them a bit of comfort and love in this gift.

In my heart I know that while scones in and of themselves may be insignificant to most, the act of thinking and caring about someone and then sharing something personal with them, whatever it may be is one of the most significant things you can do. So thank you for the recipe Azmina, I hope that my friends found some happiness in  receiving them.

Believe it or not, I have never ever made scones before. They've never been one of my favorite things at coffee shops and bistro's since they are usually dry and bland and well, not worth the calories in my opinion. These Cheddar Dill Scones however, tempted  my taste buds and  invaded  my dreams right from the get-go.

Not only do they have sharp cheddar cheese and oh-so fragrant dill weed in them, but what almost sent me into a genuine frenzy was the golden  saffron  threads hiding ever so daintily near the bottom of the ingredient list.


Interesting side note: 

Maybe dainty doesn't exactly do  saffron  justice. When I  think of saffron, I think of exotic Spanish meals at big family tables under the moonlight. I think Paella, I think yellow rice, I think shrimp, wine, salsa dancing, savory seafood and I think  Sexy.  In actuality, saffron has been used by the French, ancient Greeks, Indians and Egyptians in both cooking and medicine. It is also widely used in Moroccan and Asian cooking. Besides cooking, saffron has been used medicinally to reduce fever, to regulate the menstrual cycle, to combat epilepsy and convulsions and to treat digestive disorders. Use sparingly! When used in large amounts saffron takes on a medicinal taste and effect and can even be toxic in very large amounts.

I happen to simply be in love with the flavor, plain and simple. So these scones, with all of their wonderful flavors made me very, very happy. I so hope my dear friends find them comforting as well.
This line of tea from  Republic of Tea which I have mentioned before is one of my absolute favorites. There are such wonderful things in their variety of teas like organic rooibos, soothing chamomile, passionflower, calming lemon balm, St. John's wort, rhodiola and the mellowing properties of valerian to name a few. Pick a tea and cure all your woes. ;)





I chose to send along with my scones, the naturally decaffeinated "Be Happy" red tea to my friends. I know that these teas have done wonders for my attitude, my energy and naturally soothing me to sleep quickly (no small wonder). I love them. You will too.






Onto,

The Scones.


The key players:


 Real Wisconsin, Extra Sharp Cheddar. Amen.



Fresh Dill {weed} Not just for fish. Who knew?



 Last but not least.... Saffron.
 Known as the World's most expensive spice {actually the stigma of a flower},
 saffron's rich and savory flavor is used to flavor many exotic and wonderful foods. 
A very little goes a long way! Use with care or it takes on a medicinal effect.





My 'Spanish Mancha' Whole Saffron Threads.
This is how much I got for $9.47, worth every penny.
{I only used a small pinch of this.}   Next up, Paella!




Adapted very slightly form A Lawyer Loves Lunch: Cheddar and Dill Scones:




TIME   20 MINUTES      YIELDS  8-10 scones or 18-22 mini scones

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper medley
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 TBSP fresh dill
1/4 tsp of saffron threads
1/2 cup medium or sharp cheddar, grated
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cut into small chunks
3/4 cup half and half (I used fat free)
Place rack in middle of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees.



In a large bowl, mix together the first eight ingredients. Crumble the saffron threads in your hand and add them to the dry mixture. Add the butter to the bowl and, using two knives or a pastry blender, cut into the dry ingredients until the butter has mixed in.  Add the cheddar cheese. 

Slowly add the half and half to the dry ingredients, whisking to make sure it is fully incorporated. If the dough looks like it is moist enough, you can leave out a little of the liquid.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead a couple of times. Flatten the dough out until it is about 1 1/2 inches thick (should be about 8 or so inches wide). Cut into 8 to 10 triangles and transfer the wedges to a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.

Brush the top of each scone with a little bit of half and half. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.

Let cool on wire rack and enjoy!


Originally from  A Thought for Food's Chocolate Cherry Scones with Saffron.





My poor whisk. Does anyone own a pastry cutter, thingy?  I need one.







The Packaging.


Some fluffy-stuff. IDK what it's called. You can get it at any craft store.




 A cute tin box or a woven basket will do.




 Personalize.


Add some color.



 Wrap.



Voila.  Make someone happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment