Thursday, April 7, 2011

Carne Bistec - Colombian Steak with Onions and Tomatoes


Beef lovers, you'll love this quick Colombian steak dish cooked with onions, tomatoes and cumin. The onions and tomatoes create a flavorful sauce which is wonderful served over rice. Add a salad and you'll have a wonderful meal for under $10.

If I had to describe Latin cuisine in one word it would be flavor. My friends and family love when I cook some of the Latin dishes I grew up eating, for me those dishes are my comfort food.

You'll find variations of this recipe in different South and Central American countries and regions. Some finely chop the tomatoes and onions, some use scallions in place of onions which is also delicious. As a kid I used to push the onions away, but now I just love them. Serve this with an egg on top and it's called Bistec a Caballo. Have all your ingredients prepped before you start cooking.

Sirloin tip side steak is an extra lean steak with very little marbling. This cut usually needs to be marinated or cut very thin so that it won't be tough. Here is a great reference I like to refer to often for the 29 lean cuts of beef. If your budget permits, buy grass fed beef which is lower in saturated fat and cholesterol, and higher in omega-3 fatty acids, which are considered heart-healthy.

Click Here To See The Full Recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment