Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pumpkin Applesauce Belgian Waffles with Orange Cranberry Chutney



My 6 year olds chin is on my shoulder staring past me on the computer screen at these waffles. As I wipe the drool off my arm he says  " Mom why can't we have these for dinner every night, then I would never ever say Ewwww, I don't like that?"   Gotta Love the logic and common sense of a 6 year old boy. I suppose I wouldn't mind having these for dinner more often either I mean why give breakfast all the fun?








These are perfectly suited for a Fall dinner especially with this tangy sweet cranberry chutney but they are also extremely simple to make and healthy enough for a weekend breakfast or brunch. It's still in the

TRIPLE

       freaking
     digits

here in Phoenix and I really  neeeeed  these pumpkin waffles and cranberry sauce in my life right now to remind me that there is such a thing as 4 seasons....... somewhere.






 I start hoarding cans of pumpkin as soon as they hit the shelves in late September. Around the end of October I think they start hiding them from me at my local Trader Joe's.  Something about saving a few for other customers  blah blah blah.....




Use fresh cranberries, which I also keep well stocked year round in my freezer instead of canned. You won't believe the difference in taste, no comparison. As soon as these babies start simmering and slowly popping open and infusing with the orange juice and zest I am bouncing on my toes in anticipation of the blissfully tangyness  that is about to happen in my mouth.





Cranberries have long been valued for their ability to help prevent and treat urinary tract infections. Now, recent studies suggest that this native American berry may also promote gastrointestinal and oral health, prevent the formation of kidney stones, lower LDL and raiseHDL (good) cholesterol, aid in recovery from stroke, and even help prevent cancer.



Fresh cranberries, which contain the highest levels of beneficial nutrients, are at their peak from October through December, just in time to add their festive hue, tart tangy flavor and numerous health protective effects to your holiday meals. When cranberries' short fresh season is past, rely on cranberry juice and dried or frozen cranberriesto help make every day throughout the year a holiday from disease.





Spoon the still hot cranberry chutney over your piping hot pumpkin waffles and skip the syrup. 








PREP TIME 10 MINUTES        COOK TIME 15 MINUTES          YIELDS about 10 waffles 

INGREDIENTS:  

2 cups unbleached whole wheat flour 
1/4 cup flax meal (ground flax) - put it on oatmeal, yogurt, muffins, cookies etc. 
1/2 cup wheat germ - {you can also put it on oatmeal, yogurt, muffins and cookies} 
1/3 cup turbinado (raw) sugar 
2 TBSP baking powder 
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice or (1/2 t cinnamon + 1/4 t ground ginger + 1/8 t nutmeg + 1/8 t ground cloves, 1 tsp nutmeg 
1/2 tsp fine salt 
1 cup almond milk or low fat milk 
1 - 14 oz. can pumpkin puree 
1/4 cup unsalted, melted butter 
2 large eggs 
1 egg white 
chopped pecans or walnuts for topping


Beat together the milk, pumpkin, melted butter, agave and eggs in a bowl. In another bowl, mix together flour, wheat germ, flax meal, baking powder, spices and salt. Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour in wet ingredients. Mix together until just combined. 
Pour into a preheated waffle maker. 
*If you have settings on yours, set it to med. otherwise, you might have to remove them before the light goes off so as not to burn. They will be moist and delicious!!!

Cranberry Compote  makes about 4 cups 
1 - 12 oz. bag whole, fresh cranberries (found in the produce isle)
1/4 cup O.J.
1 TBSP orange zest
2 TBSP Agave nectar (or raw turbinado sugar)
1 cup water
2 TBSP cornstarch
1 tsp real vanilla extract
Mix cornstarch in a measuring cup with about 1/4 cup of the water. Bring the rest of the ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add cornstarch mixture. Lower heat. Cook about 8 minutes. You can use this as a topping on yogurt too. My 9 month old loves this!


Nutrition Info
Calories 208
Calories from Fat 78 (37%)
Amount Per Serving %DV
Total Fat 8.8g 13%
Saturated Fat 3.0g 14%
Monounsaturated Fat 3.0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.1g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 40mg 13%
Sodium 290mg 12%
Potassium 320mg 9%
Total Carbohydrate 28.1g 9%
Dietary Fiber 4.8g 19%
Sugars 3.4g
Protein 6.8g 13%










This post was created for the Monthly Mingle October edition featuring "squash" hosted this month by 
Dara over at Cookin' Canuck.


No comments:

Post a Comment