Monday, February 6, 2012

Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken


A fabulously spicy chicken dish made light with skinless chicken legs and thighs, simmered in a pot with light coconut milk, scallions, onions, tomatoes, garlic, thyme and one very hot scotch bonnet pepper. I served this with Jamaican rice and beans (recipe coming tomorrow), and a simple tomato avocado salad, and boy was this delicious!


I just love the tropical flavors in Jamaican cuisine, it's similar to Latin cuisine only a whole lot hotter! The scotch bonnet pepper is commonly used in Jamaican cuisine, but I warn you, it's spicy!! This small little pepper packs a whole lot more heat than a jalapeƱo so a little goes a long way. I like spicy foods, but I personally can only tolerate using 1/2 pepper for my taste and wearing gloves when handling the pepper is a must. If you like really spicy food, then add the whole pepper and please, keep them away from the kids and pets!!

I'm a dark meat lover so I chose the legs and thighs, but you can use a whole chicken cut up, or just the breast if you prefer white meat. I recommend using chicken on the bone, because bones give stews flavor and although it would still work with boneless chicken, it won't be as good. My husband loved this dish, and it will absolutely be going into our dinner rotation. Enjoy!!


Click Here To See The Full Recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment