Monday, January 3, 2011

Skinny Slow Cooked Pernil (Puerto Rican Pork)



Slow cooked pork marinated in garlic, citrus juices, cumin and oregano.

Pernil is a typical pork dish in the Latin Caribbean islands such as Puerto Rico and Cuba, served with rice and beans during the holidays or whenever there's a reason to celebrate. My husband loves pernil, especially my cousin Katia's recipe from Food For Every Season. I decided to lighten up her recipe, and bravely against my husband's wishes, I opted to use my crock pot.

A typical Pernil recipe is slow roasted in the oven with a huge slab of fat on top, which gets crispy as it cooks. My lightened version is a lean boneless shoulder blade roast, trimmed of all fat and slow cooked in the crock pot to make this easy enough to make as a weeknight meal.

Be sure to buy the boneless pork shoulder blade roast, as it is leaner than the pork shoulder picnic. Season the meat the day before and refrigerate it in the crock pot. Then when you wake up, take it out and plug it in and come home to a home cooked meal.

And by the way, when I got home from work, my house smelled wonderful, but I was still worried about my husband's opinion. I finished the last steps of shredding the pork and went into another room. My husband must have tasted the pork, because he called me in to tell me the Pernil was slamming (that's a good thing by the way!)Leftovers are great for Cuban sandwiches!

Click Here To See The Full Recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment