Thursday, February 13, 2014

Perfectly Pink Sparkling Cocktails for Valentines Day: National Grapefruit Month


Did you know it's National Grapefruit month? I think its pretty funny how just about every food or beverage has a National day, week or month honoring it. Grapefruits have long been one of my absolute favorite healthy snacks and so I'm not feeling too goofy honoring the mouth puckering citrus.

According to Epicurious, grapefruit pairs perfectly with avocado which just so happens to be another favorite food of mine, even though I have a teensy weensy allergy to it. I've been trying to build up a tolerance to avocado for years by adding it to my salads, tacos or straight into my mouth via a big salty chip. This, to me is perfectly sane reasoning. Agreed? Good.

Like I was saying, grapefruit and avocado are perfectly palatable partners and it just so happens that lobster, cheese and salami also pair extremely well with the bright pink, tart citrus.

  Lobster, avocado and grapefruit salad anyone?!! 


To go with your lobster salad I'm thinking a pretty pink cocktail is in order. It's not to late to throw one (or 3) of these super simple refreshers together for Valentines Day. I've been seeing these Ice Beverage bottles all over the super markets lately and seeing as that they are zero calorie sparkling flavored waters I jumped in head first. 





Pink Grapefruit Sparkler




Ingredients:2 oz. Pink Grapefruit Sparkling ICE3 oz. white wine, preferably MoscatoMint leaves for garnish Directions: Pour white wine over ice.Top with Pink Grapefruit Sparkling ICE. Garnish with mint leaves.







A little kick of heat from jalapeños are perfect zip with sweet and tangy grapefruit.
 I love. love. love the combination of spicy and sweet. 



Jalapeño Grapefruit Martini





Ingredients: 
3 oz.  Pink Grapefruit Sparkling ICE
1 ½ oz.  Vodka
1 oz. lime juice
Lime wedge
Sliced fresh jalapeño
Chili salt for rim of glass (Kosher salt mixed with chili powder)
 
Directions: 
Use a lime wedge to rub the entire rim of a chilled martini glass, and dip into chili salt mixture. 
Combine vodka and jalapeno slices with ice in a shaker.
Strain and pour into the chilled martini glass.
Top with Pink Grapefruit Sparkling ICE. 
Garnish with a few Jalapeno slices. 




Happy Valentines Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment