Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Skinny Cake Pops


Cake pops made lighter by using a box cake mix, egg whites and fat free Greek yogurt – no oil, no butter required!


Today is my daughter Madison's 3rd birthday!


She is having a little birthday party in school and I was asked to bring something that wasn't too messy, so I thought cake pops would be perfect! But then I remembered lollipop sticks and 3 yr olds aren't such a great idea, so after thumbing though the Bakerella Cake Pops book for ideas we decided on cake balls that look like little cupcakes.


Cake pops are all the rave thanks to the very talented Bakerella, but using the traditional method of crumbling the cake with frosting adds a lot of calories to each pop. The only way to make them lighter is by using a cake pop pan, rather than the original method; it's quicker and easier too! I tested out my lighter cake box recipe to see how they would turn out, and it worked like a charm!

I played around with a few cake pop pans and machines out there and realized they are not all created equal. After testing out a bunch of them, I had huge success with the Nordicware cake pop pan, which is only about $16 at Target.


So today, in honor of my daughter's birthday I am giving away the Nordicware Cake Pop Pan, and Bakerella's Cake Pop Book on Skinny Bits (courtesy of Target). Giveaway ends Wednesday evening, so hurry!

Now be warned, these are FAR lighter than traditional cake pops, but they are dipped in chocolate, which will add up if you eat a lot, so you'll still need some self control! Dark chocolate, of course is the healthiest option, but for color purposes today I went with white chocolate. Candy melts (available at Michael's) were used for my daughter's cake balls.



Click Here To See The Full Recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment