Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Slow Cooked Black Eyed Peas with Ham



Low fat southern style black eye peas with ham, made in your crock pot! It's really a bean rather than a pea, and an excellent source of calcium, folate, vitamin A and fiber. A perfect recipe for that leftover ham bone, but a ham steak would work great too. These have a mildly spicy flavor, you can adjust the heat to your taste. I served this over brown rice but this would also be great to eat as a soup.

I get a lot of requests for crock pot recipes, so I decided to experiment with dry beans in my slow cooker. I was prepared to call it a loss if they didn't turn out good. Boy was I was pleasantly surprised! The beans cooked to perfection and this couldn't be easier. I'm excited to make some of my other dry bean recipes in the crock pot now that I know how good they came out. Crock pot recipes tend to need more seasoning, I found seasoning the beans the last hour of cooking allowed for maximum flavor.

Click Here To See The Full Recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment