Friday, September 17, 2010

Ginger Roo's with Home Made Crystalized Ginger!






Inspired by the plump, moist and yummy Ginger Roo cookies Trader Joe's has seasonally, I set out to find a recipe that I could call my own. This is it people. It's a combination of recipes I've seen on the Internet and in my trusty recipe magazines.
These turned out so perfect I almost cried.... I've been know to have more than one baking disaster. Master mommy chef, maybe. Baking barrister...... I'm working on it.

So, first off I want to tell you about a little discovery I made, more like necessity is the mother of invention. I meant to pick up some crystallizes ginger at Sprouts to make these but totally forgot. Crystallized ginger can be hard to find and is somewhat pricey and to tell you the truth the stuff I've bought in the past wasn't all that great. Soooo, trepidiciously, my mom and I made up some of our own. Turns out it is simple to make, economical and much better than the store bought stuff. I'm starting to notice a trend here. Check out my recipe for crystallized ginger after the cookie recipe!


Let me just tell you that if you value your sanity don't try to make a double batch of these guys! I doubled up the ingredients into my heavy duty KitchenAid mixer and the dough was so thick it was rocking and clicking. I had to mix the last bit with my hands, literally.







Makes 20-22 cookies

You Will Need:

2¼ cups all-purpose flour


1 teaspoon baking soda


2 teaspoons ground cinnamon


1½ teaspoons ground cloves


½ teaspoon ground nutmeg

½ teaspoon ground ginger


¼ teaspoon salt


1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed


¼ cup vegetable oil


1/3 cup unsulfured molasses

2 egg, at room temperature


2 tablespoons milk


1 cup chopped crystallized ginger (6 ounces) * Make your own! recipe to follow....


Granulated sugar, for rolling the cookies






1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.


2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger and salt and then combine the mixture with your hands.


3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the brown sugar, oil, and molasses on medium speed for 5 minutes. Turn the mixer to low speed, add the egg, and beat for 1 minute. Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula and beat for 1 more minute. With the mixer still on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the crystallized ginger and mix until combined.


4. Scoop the dough with two spoons or a small ice cream scoop. With your hands, roll each cookie into a 1¾-inch ball and then flatten them lightly with your fingers. Press both sides of each cookie in granulated sugar and place them on the baking sheets.


5. Bake for exactly 13 minutes. The cookies will be crackled on top and soft inside. Let the cookies cool on the sheets for 1 to 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.




Crystallized Ginger:

1 cup peeled, thinly sliced ginger root
3 cups water
1 cup sugar

In saucepan, bring water to boil. Add ginger and sugar and cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
* Reserve ginger water for ginger ale or tea flavoring if desired. Ginger is an excellent, natural remedy for upset tummy's!!!
Place Ginger on a baking sheet or a cooling rack and place in 170F degree oven. Bake/dehydrate for about 30-40 minutes until almost dry but still chewy.
Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 months.








No comments:

Post a Comment