Sunday, August 15, 2010

Tic-Tac-Toe Ricotta Toast or Mandarin, Almond and Honey



I like to play with my food. Which should come as no surprise since I like everything about food, cooking it, thinking about it, taking pictures of it and of course eating it! My kids like playing with their food too, I'm a little odd in that I think that's just fine as long as they eat it. I love to hang out in the kitchen with my kiddos and teach them all about food. While we cook our meals together, we talk about where food came from and which foods are healthy and how they help our bodies be strong.
It's so rewarding to hear my 5 year old tell his 13 month old sister that cheese will help her bones be strong and that he didn't use to like avocados but he does now so she should eat them up! I love it!!

I discovered this yummy breakfast/snack out of necessity. It was a grocery shopping day and all we were out of cereal, oats, eggs and milk. Hmmm, what's for breakfast? We had a loaf of sprouted grain bread and a bit of ricotta cheese left over in the fridge. I toasted the bread and spread on the ricotta. I clipped some parsley from my window herb garden and sliced up some fresh, warm tomatoes ( no fruit that morning either). A bit of seasoning salt and cracked pepper to finish it off and it was Delicious!

I couldn't stop thinking about how I wanted it again the next morning and thought the kids would enjoy some fruit on theirs too. They ate the tomatoes but not the parsley. Anyway, the idea of a tic-tac-toe toast was spur of the moment and Oh-so-fun!





I simply hulled and pureed the strawberries with my hand-held emersion blender, No Sugar necessary. I put the pureed strawberries into a Ziploc baggie and cut an itty bitty tip of the corner off so I could draw the lines onto the toast. Use whatever fruit you have on hand for your game pieces.
Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with nuts if you so desire, but most importantly.... Don't forget to Play with your food! ;-)



I wanted mine with mandarin orange segments, sliced almonds and a bit of honey.





Use sprouted bread or whole grain bread rather than whole wheat or white. I like Ezekiel brand sprouted breads, they are really yummy and of course good for you. Another complete protein!




Inspired by the Holy Scripture verse Ezekiel 4:9., "Take also unto thee Wheat, and Barley, and beans, and lentils, and millet, and Spelt, and put them in one vessel, and make bread of it..."


Ezekiel 4:9® Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Products are:
Flourless,
Organic,
Complete Protein,
and Sprouted Whole Grain

When these six grains and legumes are sprouted and combined, an amazing thing happens.
A complete protein is created that closely parallels the protein found in milk and eggs. In fact, the protein quality is so high, that it is 84.3% as efficient as the highest recognized source of protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids. There are 18 amino acids present in this unique bread – from all vegetable sources – naturally balanced in nature.


Ezekiel 4:9® Bread, made from freshly sprouted organically grown grains, is naturally flavorful and bursting with nutrients. Rich in protein, vitamins, minerals and natural fiber with no added fat. Try it served warm to release its exceptionally rich nutty flavor.



No comments:

Post a Comment