Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sun-Dried Tomato and Feta Turkey Meatloaf



First, let me just say that I have never liked meatloaf, or any red meat for that matter. I mean there is absolutely nothing glamorous about your traditional meatloaf. Even the name leaves much to be desired, a big loaf of meat, Mmmm.


So, why then did I decide to make meatloaf for dinner tonight? I'm glad you asked. I have a meat and potato loving husband and 3 energetic, growing boys who happen to not share my aversion to red meat. In fact, my teenage son has begged me on more than one occasion to "Please, please make some meat for dinner mom! I'm a growing man for crying out loud!" The agony, the shame!

So, in order to keep my sweet young men happy and healthy, I came up with this compromise. Actually, dare I say, I really liked it, loved it even *gasp! The flavors in this.... ehhemmm, meatloaf, were really quite gourmet. Right up my alley. Simple, inexpensive, healthy and full of flavor!


PREP 5 minutes    COOK TIME 45-50 min     SERVES 6



Ingredients:

1/2 cup plain bread crumbs (don't bother with the store bought can, leave a piece of bread on the counter for a few hours covered with a paper towel, then crumble.)
1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (have I mentioned how awesome fresh herbs from your garden are?
1/4 cup chopped herb marinated sun-dried tomatoes (you'll find another use for them, I promise)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
2 TBSP whole milk
1/2 cup crumbled feta (trust me!)
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 lb ground turkey
1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion

Directions:


Place oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375° F.


Spray a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.


In a large bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, parsley, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, eggs, milk, feta, salt and pepper. Add the turkey and gently stir to combine, being careful not to overwork the meat.


Carefully pack the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until the internal temperature registers 165°F on an inserted thermometer, about 45 minutes.


I removed the loaf, emptied the juices that had accumulated on the top, then put it back in the oven on BROIL for about 5 minutes so the top browned nicely.


Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes!


Serve with a big, colorful salad!


PRINT THIS RECIPE

Nutrition Facts


Serving Size 1 (126g)
Recipe makes 6 servings
Calories 218
Calories from Fat 101 (46%)


Amount Per Serving %DV
Total Fat 11.3g 17%
Saturated Fat 4.3g 21%
Monounsaturated Fat 3.7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.0g
Trans Fat 0.2g
Cholesterol 141mg 47%
Sodium 641mg 26%
Potassium 335mg 9%
Total Carbohydrate 9.4g 3%
Dietary Fiber 0.9g 3%
Sugars 2.3g
Protein 19.0g 37%

No comments:

Post a Comment