Monday, March 24, 2014

Guacamole Chicken Pitas with Almonds and Dried Apricots




























Imagine this. You live in one of the most picturesque,  climate friendly, supreme outdoor frolicking places to live. Ever.  Now, imagine you have crazy annoying, ridiculous allergies. To everything pollen, grass and nature related and to dogs and to watermelon. Congratulations, you are now me in a nut suit. I  love  nature. I love dogs and oh, by the way, I love watermelon. Karma confuse me?

I have spent a small fortune on allergy medicine in my life and 90% of it has been in the last 3 months! What gives?!@  Spring in the Valley of the Sun is Heaven on Earth and I am plundering around sneezing, blowing my nose and puffy faced while trying to take in deep breaths of the fragrant orange blossoms I so love. Not attractive, nor fair.


So I thought it would be a great idea to make a picnic lunch to take to the boys Cub Scout Spring Camp this week. I put aside the fact that my allergies to pretty much everything outdoors would make me miserable and quite possibly go into anapylactic shock I but also chose, once again to ignore the fact that I'm slightly allergic to avocados. What cruel world do I live in?!  Avocados! Really?!



So, naturally I made Guacamole Chicken Pitas.


I'm building up a tolerance.


It could totally work.............

maybe.










Simple, fresh ingredients you can throw together for lunch or a picnic.





Freshly grated carrots naturally sweeten the mixture and balance out the tang of the sugar free yogurt.







Guacamole Chicken Pitas with Dried Apricots



SERVES    6         TIME    10 MINUTES



Ingredients


1/2 of a Whole Roasted Chicken
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 cup dried apricots (or raisons), chopped
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1 whole carrot, grated
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup cilantro (or parsley) chopped
1 cup fat free, plain yogurt
1 whole avocado
1 lemon, juiced
pinch of salt
dash of pepper
 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
cayenne pepper if you please

6 Pita pockets.





Chop chicken, throw into medium sized bowl. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine. Spoon into pita pockets. Enjoy!






Serve with fresh fruit!






















No comments:

Post a Comment