Thursday, December 5, 2013

Chinese Noodles with Sticky Orange Maple Sauce & Chicken { every day dinners }






























As a food blogger (a title I'm still not quite o.k. with for some reason)  it would probably be wise to stick with one or maybe two types of cuisine that I'm familiar with and try perfecting and blogging about said cuisine. For instance, I am a native Zonie (From Arizona for those of you who don't speak Gwen). Meaning, I've lived here since I was an infant so I have self proclaimed myself a native, grandfathered in if you will.






Therefore, it would probably be wise of me to stick with the foods and flavors from the Southwest.  Yet, while Southwestern and Mexican foods happen to be one of my most favorite foods, how could they not be growing up in the midst of such a lavish and exuberant culture with spices and sauces that will set your very soul on fire? I find myself with a wondering palate. 



































So, as much as I adore and often crave the flavors of the Southwest, I simply could not live on jalapenos and habeneros alone. Oddly enough, as a self proclaimed Native Zonie living in the middle of the desert,  my absolute favorite foods happen to stem from the sea. Sea Bass, Salmon, Smoked Swordfish, Grilled Crab, Barbecued Shrimp and even the occasional anchovy when it's involved in a lovingly made Puttenesca sauce.  Sushi?  Hell ya!  Breakfast is served!




Which brings us to Chinese food. Obviously.

As I mentioned, I have a wandering palate. I love that about me.






I also am not a huge fan of pasta, but I looooveeee noodles.

Stay with me.


It's all about the sauce. Correct me if I'm wrong please but a noodle is a noodle is a noodle (except, once I did have an amazingly wonderful, seriously fresh, home made linguine that would knock your socks off, another time.) and again, really, it's all about the sauce.  

Sticky sweet, orange maple balsamic sauce with an Oriental flare. 

Schazaaam! 







If you can find these twisty, curly "Ramen" style noodles I prefer them in this sticky sauce, kids and adults alike find them a fun noodle to slurp up with extra sauce. Otherwise, use regular soba noodles or even the cheap, packaged Ramen noodles will work though not as thick and yummy.












PREP TIME    15 MINUTES        COOK TIME     15 MINUTES      SERVES 4



Ingredients

1, 6 oz package oriental noodles, cooked according to package directions
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked
2 cups broccoli florets
1 small red bell pepper, julienned
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sesame oil

sesame seeds for garnish

for the sauce
2 teaspoons tamari (organic, gluten free, low sodium soy sauce)
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
4 teaspoons maple balsamic vinegar (or 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup or honey)
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, whisked in

red pepper flakes, if you please



Cook chicken. I use my pressure cooker at 2nd ring for 8 minutes for very moist chicken breasts.

Whisk together ingredients for sauce, set aside.

Bring water to a boil, blanch broccoli florets for 3-4 minutes. Remove with a large, slotted spoon and place in colander and rinse with cool water to prevent from cooking further. Set aside. Return water to boil,  cook noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles.

In a large wok, preheated over medium high heat add sesame oil. Toss in red bell pepper, drained broccoli and garlic and toss a few times. Cook for just 2-3 minutes being careful not to burn garlic. 

Re-wisk sauce.

Combine noodles, sauce, broccoli, peppers and chicken in a large bowl. Toss to combine. 

Enjoy!
















No comments:

Post a Comment