Monday, September 23, 2013

South Western Style Eggs Benedict with Creamy Avocado Hollandaise






Eggs Benedict has always and will always be my favorite breakfast. I'll never forget the very first time I had it in a little cafe in the Lamplight district in San Fransisco. It was the most indulgent breakfast I'd ever had and I was surprised at how much I looooved the warm, oozy yolk as it drizzled out of the egg and soaked into the toast. I have never been a fan of eggs in general and still don't care for boiled eggs or scrambled eggs unless made my way (pushed to the center of the pan till just cooked and with veggies). 


After this life changing breakfast in San Fransisco I did duly note how heavy my tummy felt and the slight but noticeable 'icky' feeling I get whenever I eat something that is loaded with fat. I came up with a much lighter version many years ago and have made it so many times now that it's my go to weekend breakfast or brunch. 







My simple starter Hollandaise is fat free by using plain, fat free Greek yogurt instead of mayo and egg and has plenty of 'bang for your buck' flavors going on. 




By adding half of a California avocado you'll get an even creamier texture, added flavor and super good for you fatty acids and vitamins.








To make the Hollandaise sauce appealing to the spice lovers palate, add 1/2 of a minced jalapeno and a dash of Spanish paprika or chili powder.




TIME  10 MINUTES        SERVES    4
Ingredients:

4 Organic, free range eggs
4 slices Canadian bacon
1/2 California Avocado
4 slices Ezekiel sprouted bread or English muffin
1/2 jalapeño, minced
dash Spanish paprika or chili powder
1/3 cup plain, fat free Greek yogurt
2-3 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
dash of soy sauce or tamari
squeeze of lemon juice
1 teaspoon spice mix ~ make enough to save in a small jar for future use.
(equal parts: ground cumin, garlic powder, curry powder, turmeric, black pepper, cayenne powder)


 In a small food processor, mix together avocado, yogurt, Dijon, tamari, lemon and 1 teaspoon of the spice mix. Blend till smooth. You may need to add a tablespoon of water to desired consistency. Add the minced jalapeno and pulse a few times.

In a small pan add enough water to 1- 1/2" depth. Heat over medium-high heat till just  starts to boil.
Gently crack eggs, one at a time and slowly drop into water. Reduce heat to medium to maintain a very gentle boil. Cook eggs exactly 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove eggs and place onto toasted bread with a slice of Canadian bacon (I like mine heated on a cast iron skillet).

Spoon the sauce over the the egg and bacon. Sprinkle with Spanish paprika and serve immediately.



Notes: Serve with mango, grapes, grapefruit or your favorite fruit.









This post is linked to Cookin Canuck  ~ Wake Up w CA Avocado


No comments:

Post a Comment