Thursday, May 23, 2013

Cottage Cheese Pancakes {gluten free}























I think these pancakes could fall under the paleo diet guidelines.  Wait, did cavemen eat cottage cheese? Oh well,  I'm pretty sure that cave men ate pancakes. After all they apparently ate muffins, cookies and pie why not pancakes. O.k. so I haven't read up on this new fad. I know it's a pretty basic concept of eating whole foods but as far as trying to figure out exactly what cavemen ate, I'm not sure I really get it. Like coconut for instance? Did cave men eat coconut? Maybe if there were cave men in Hawaii. Coconut is good for you but if cave men didn't eat it then are Paleoians not allowed to eat it either? Why?






These are the random things I think about when I am stalling cleaning the house. I'll bet cave men didn't have to clean their houses errr caves.  The closest to living like a cave man that I get is living with 4 crazy kids running around the house like little neanderthals.

Honestly. Not sure what got me on this subject. Just seeing an awful lot of Paleo recipes out there in the blogosphere. Paleo must be the new gluten free. I'm sure there's some great science behind it.







At any rate, in an effort to reduce our intake of processed carbs/sugars and limit GMO foods in our bodies I have been trying to remake some of our favorite foods without white or wheat flour.

These pancakes turned out to be super easy and tasted great without the wheat flour. Score! Dare I say,
"So easy a caveman can do it!" 

Sorry. Had to.






My mom used to make cottage cheese pancakes for us when we were little. We all loved them. Substituting almond and coconut flour for regular flour adds protein and vitamins. 
Bye Bye wheat belly!



If your thinking cottage cheese sounds really weird in pancakes let me tell you, it's amazing! The pancakes turn out moist and the cottage cheese somehow gets sweet when cooked and tastes very similar to a cream cheese crepe IMO.




Topped with strawberries for extra sweetness and these pancakes will be your new 
favorite healthy breakfast I promise!






*NOTES  I also have used 1 cup spelt flour in place of the almond and coconut flour. Spelt flour is not certified GF but it is a nutritious ancient grain with a deep nut like flavor. Spelt dates back long before many wheat hybrids. Many of its benefits come from the fact that it offers a broader spectrum of nutrients compared to many of its more inbred cousins in the wheat family. It can be used in many of the same ways as wheat including bread and pasta making. Spelt does not seem to cause sensitivities in many people who are intolerant of wheat. 




adapted from my mom's recipe

TIME    15 MINUTES      YIELDS    8-10 SMALL PANCAKES

Cottage Cheese Pancakes {Gluten Free}

Ingredients

4 eggs
1/2 cup plain, fat free yogurt
1 1/2 cups large curd cottage cheese
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
real butter to coat pan


toppings
chopped strawberries
honey
or real maple syrup


Preheat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
In a medium bowl, beat eggs, add yogurt and cottage cheese. Sift in flours, baking powder and salt.
Using a 1/4 measuring cup, slowly pour batter into hot skillet. The batter will be thin and spread quickly so pour slowly.

Cook for 3-4 minutes on first side until bubbles cover the top. Flip pancakes over and cook 1-2 minutes more. Lower heat if necessary.


















No comments:

Post a Comment