Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Over Night Tart Cherry and Pear Crisp Breakfast





I am not a morning person. Everyone who knows me knows that it's best not to ask me anything serious, important or annoying in any way shape or form before I've had a cup of coffee. You would think that I would be used to being up and at em' at the crack of dawn since I've been doing it pretty much my entire life. I have to be up around 5 a.m. for work with my head screwed on tightly by 6:30 and ready to focus in surgery. Also, after having 4 kids, my first one at age 19 I've known many a early mornings in my day.






Not happening. I've tried, honestly. I've gotten up early to go hiking which I l.o.v.e. I've committed to boxing classes that started at 5:00 a.m. and actually felt totally amazing and pumped for the day afterwards but dragging my zombie butt out of bed was shear torture. 


So making a decent breakfast for myself and the kiddos while trying to get ready for the day is out of the question. I have however committed to not buying any more  boxed cereal  whatsoever so I've been forced to come up with some other healthy and most importantly simple options.




Over night breakfast to the rescue!






You simply throw all the ingredients, which are minimal into your slow cooker and walk away. 
I love non-committal recipes like that.







Unless your lucky enough to have a slow cooker with an automatic shut of button (most newer ones do) than you might have to make this during the day and reheat in the morning. Unless you stay up late like me and start it around 10p.m. and are up super early like me  *sigh  to shut it off than it may burn a bit.  I'm actually o.k. with that, tastes like a cookie!

So I have an automatic shut off option on my slow cooker but I have made thrown this together before making dinner, around 4p.m. on the 6 hour option instead of the 10 hours and turned it off before going to bed making sure not to lift the lid for a peak and a sniff. It was just as good the next morning.

Just a few options for ya.





You will need: 
1 1/2 cups steel cut oats
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups almond milk or milk of your choice
2 pears of the firmer variety
1/2 cup dried tart cherries
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon real vanilla (optional)
2 tablespoons local Organic honey
1/2 teaspoon salt


Throw all ingredients into your slow cooker. Turn on the lowest setting if making before you go to bed or follow instructions above for other options. Wake up in the morning to the smell of cinnamon, honey pear crisp and enjoy a fuss free morning.




Now that's the way to start your day!


What do you usually have for breakfast?








No comments:

Post a Comment