Sunday, March 21, 2010

Personal Pizza Party Friday

This is really very easy and a lot of fun for the kids. They thought they were pretty special picking out whatever toppings they wanted and making their very own pizza! I bought a few yummy ingredients from Trader Joe's, all were $2-$3 each and then chopped up a few different veggies that I had in the fridge. Much cheaper than 3 $25 pizzas it usually takes to feed this bunch. I bought most everything you see below for about $20. You could use just about anything on pizza. It's really fun to do it this way and try out different combinations!
I love "weird" pizza so I made my very own pesto, sun dried tomato, goat cheese and onion pizza. Spectacular if I must say so myself! The little boys just piled on everything as high as they could which is a very sneaky way to get a few servings of vegetables in! Britton spent a lot of time making funny faces out of veggies for his pizza Picasso. I have made these before and the problem with so many fun toppings is that after you sprinkle on the cheese they fall off creating a mess. So I tried sliced, part skim Mozzarella this time, laying it on top of the ingredients and it turned out great! The cheese melted right over the top and the boys ate their pizzas virtually mess free.

You will need:

French Bread Rolls, cut in half length wise, or English muffins etc.

Lots of different chopped veggies, try some new ones!
ideas:
onion, zucchini, sun dried tomatoes, eggplant, Roma tomato (be careful, regular tomatoes are very moist and will make your pizza mushy), mushrooms, olives, fennel, bell peppers, spinach, whole garlic cloves, artichoke hearts (my favorite!) radicchio pineapple, pears, pine nuts.... basically anything, get creative.
Pizza sauce (look for one with little or no sugar, should be less than 3 grams or close to last on the ingredients.
You also just use tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes. This will work especially well if you are using fresh herbs!
Cheese. Choose part-skim, low moisture Mozzarella, goat cheese, or low-fat feta.
Fresh Herbs if possible! This really is the best part of pizza in my humble opinion! Try, oregano, thyme, basil (of course!) sage or rosemary.
Meat: Sometimes I'm nice and buy meat for the boys. ;-) I try to stay away from pepperoni and sausage, but if you love it use a little!
Other ideas are: prosciutto ( a thin cut cured ham from Italy), Canadian bacon, cubed or ground chicken, shrimp (goes great with pesto), Italian sausage, mortedella (an Italian pork almost like bologna), Copa salami, Genova salami, you get the picture.

Pile on toppings, place on foil lined baking sheet, place in pre-heated 400 degree oven for 10-13 minutes until cheese is golden brown!

No comments:

Post a Comment