Saturday, May 10, 2014

Spring Pea and Pistachio Pasta with Ricotta #SundaySuppers























Simplicity is what I think of for Mother's Day. Simple, home made gifts from my children made from the heart. Hugs and kisses and I love you's first thing in the morning served with oddly shaped pancakes on a platter next to a flower picked from the garden.  note to self: we need a garden.









Also, I like to remind myself how lucky I am to have three mothers in my life each of them special to me in very unique ways. My own mom who has lived with me for most of my adult life has taught me by devoted example how to live a very natural lifestyle and has always been there to help watch our children and love them (sometimes I'm sure they love her more than me ;) She is my constant friend, companion and shoulder to cry on. 

My step mom who married my dad when I was at the tempered age of 15 loves me despite those first few years of resentment, anger and the confusion of divorce and joining two large families into one. I've grown to know her as a true friend and someone I look up to and love for her sweet and understanding spirit.

My mother in law, well we have different ways of thinking at times, both of us strong willed and opinionated. She values family first and foremost and is a dedicated mother and wife. We have grown to understand and respect each other in most ways and it is a relationship I look forward to growing. Mostly, I love her for raising a man I love beyond words. 


Simplicity in all things for Mother's day is what I look forward to the most. Breakfast in bed, a clean house that I had nothing to do with and a simple dinner we can sit down to and enjoy as a family. This simple pasta was creamy and light with one of my favorite fresh herbs, tarragon to add just a touch of unpretentious flavor. 


You could add any vegetables to make this more substantial, summer zucchini, sweet peppers, mushrooms. Chicken, diced ham, shrimp or crab would also go well in this dish.




Ingredients


1 cup roasted unsalted pistachio nuts (buy them in their shell, if possible)

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 small handful of fresh tarragon leaves

1/3 cup grated good quality Parmesan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano)

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

a pinch of sea salt

6 oz whole grain pasta

zest of 1 large lemon

a squeeze of lemon juice


Put the first 6 ingredients into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse till nuts are finely ground. 

Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water until is is just al dente. Drain water from pasta reserving a few tablespoons and set aside.  

Pour pasta into a large serving bowl. Grate in the zest of the lemon, and add a squeeze of the juice. Toss the pasta with the pistachio mixture adding a tablespoon or two of reserved pasta water if too dry. Add most of the ricotta to the hot pasta until creamy and well coated. Spoon in additional small spoonfuls of ricotta for texture and extra bits of creamy goodness. Spoon pasta into bowls, serve with freshly ground cracked pepper and Garnish with tarragon sprigs.







      This is my very first Sunday Supper post and I couldn't be more excited! There is a growing number of fantastic bloggers who commit to share a common value of families eating together at the table each and every Sunday. I have been in a blogging 'rut' for the last several months asking myself why exactly I put in the time that I do towards blogging when it doesn't seem to reach the masses or make a difference in the way people feel about healthy eating. I hope Sunday Suppers will help me continue to reach my goal of 'Family First' and "Healthy Habits'. 





      I want to thank my friend Liz of 'That Skinny Chick Can Bake' for hosting this weeks Sunday Supper. I've been a follower of her blog for, well ever! If you haven't yet, please visit her site for creative and mouthwatering desserts and more. She's a real sweetheart.


      Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our http://pinterest.com/thesundaysupper/sundaysupper/">#SundaySupper Pinterest board
      for more fabulous recipes and food photos.


      No comments:

      Post a Comment