Friday, January 24, 2014

South Western Style Stuffed Spaghetti Squash with Chorizo and Peppers



It's really amazing how fast it takes to fall out of shape. It takes hours and hours week after week of exercising for me to see positive results in my body and then Bam! 3 weeks of basically being a sloth during the Holidays to feel like a big, fat, hot mess. Back to sporting my "yoga" pants 24/7 for a while. The good news is that I jumped back on the wagon and am already feeling much better after a couple of weeks of exercising and being even more diligent in regards as to how I fuel my body.










I've found that when I don't plan ahead I end up making something like burritos or nachos for dinner instead of something healthier and more satisfying. My days are usually pretty hectic with work and 4 kids (does the 19 year old still count?) so sitting down on the weekend for a couple of hours, well maybe 5 or 6 hours if I jump on Pinterest helps me make healthier dinners during the week.


So instead of throwing together a big plate of Nachos on Friday night we can have this healthified version thanks to spaghetti squash. While I have a hard time convincing some of my children to eat plain spaghetti squash when it involves chorizo, cheese and beans we have a winner.




I can't get enough of the flavors of the South West and namely of Mexico that are incorporated in this dish.  Typically, Mexican food is associated with fried foods and fatty cheeses but it's of my opinion that this is the American version of the cuisine. This south western stuffed squash brings out all of the flavors of my beloved home town without all of the fat and grease we Americans so love.




Post Script: This was one of the best meals I've ever had. Ever. If you make one recipe from this blog, please make this! If you have small children or you don't like the spice in your food omit the jalapeño and fire roasted tomatoes. Maybe add a teaspoon of cumin and chile powder to the mix if you do for flavor. 




TIME   90 MINUTES        SERVES   4 

Ingredients
 
1 medium sized spaghetti squash
2 cans or 2 cups cooked black beans
1 can whole kernel sweet corn, drained
10 oz beef chorizo (omit for vegetarian)
1 large red or green bell pepper, diced
1 can fire roasted tomatoes (if not using chorizo and you like heat)
OR 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 cup shredded Jack cheese (Queso Oxaca is a good, low fat sub)
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1 large handful fresh cilantro, chopped plus more for garnish
1 jalapeño, diced


Preheat oven to 400F
 
Poke several holes in the skin of the squash to allow steam to escape while cooking. {I had a hot squash explode on me once when I tried to cut in without having poked holes in it first, ouch} Place whole squash on a roasting pan and roast for 60 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes before attempting to cut. 
Meanwhile, cook chorizo in a large, non-stick or cast iron skillet till browned. Using a slotted spoon, remove from pan into a large bowl, set aside. Pour out all but 1 teaspoon of grease. Brown onion 4-5 minutes. Add onion to chorizo. Combine the beans, corn, red bell pepper, tomatoes, jalepeno, cilantro and the salt into the chorizo mixture. 
Cut the squash in half, lengthwise. Using a large fork scrape out the flesh of the squash to make 'spagetthi' making sure to leave at least 1/2" on bottom and sides to create a "boat".  Toss the spaghetti squash flesh in with the chorizo mixture to combine. Scoop mixture into the spaghetti 'boats'. Cover with cheese and place back in oven and roast for 10-15 until cheese melts. 
Garnish with cilantro, green onion and avocado slices.













No comments:

Post a Comment