Sunday, July 7, 2013

Almost Meatless Sloppy Joe's
























It's been a long week. I just finished Day 6 of my Extreme workout program and I feel AMAZING! Tired and sore but also stronger and better. Even something as simple as bending down and putting in a load of laundry I could actually feel my shoulder and back muscles working. They do actually exist. Who knew? One day I might even find my ABS!





Independence Day was a fun day spent with my sister and her cute family. My 4 little nieces came over and we all swam and BBQ'd and then swam some more. Then we had a banana split party complete with cherries, star sprinkles, chopped walnuts, strawberries, chocolate fudge and of course lots of whip cream. I only had a couple of bites...... mostly banana, honestly.

Anyhooo, since I've been working out I've found myself hungry all of the time. Literally starving. I've been lifting weights and doing interval training and so my body is building lots of lean muscle which really revs up your metabolism. Good thing I planned ahead and had lots of healthy foods around like hummus and crudites, cottage cheese and fruit, nuts and lean cheeses and chicken and broccoli.



I have found myself craving meat for the very first time ever, well except for when I was pregnant with baby #2.  I still don't really like to sit and eat a big pile of meat however and would rather incorporate a small amount of it into my meals so it's more balanced with veggies and good carbs.



Summer Supper!


The finer you grate cabbage, the sweeter it is.
 I used bagged cabbage this time which isn't nearly as sweet.
Serve with baked sweet potato fries tossed very lightly with corn starch and flour. 





These sloppy joe's really hit the spot and the husband and kids loved them! The sauce was really the key and they tasted just like the original deal. Just a small amount of lean ground beef added that beef flavor instead of just tasting like beans, which I love but get bored with them sometimes.




These are really and truly a perfect weeknight meal, so stinking simple!
recipe adapted from Mark Bittman


  • SERVES  4      TIME   40 MINUTES TOTAL
  • You Will Need:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 ounces lean ground beef or ground sirloin
  • 1/2 cup grated carrot (adds sweetness)
  • 2-3 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (15.5-ounce) can low-sodium red beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
  • 4 (2-ounce) whole-wheat sandwich rolls, split and toasted
  • 4 (1/4-inch-thick) red onion slices, separated into rings
  • shredded cabbage to top on sandwich

  • Putting it all together:
  • Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, and beef to pan; cook 5 minutes or until meat is browned and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally to crumble beef.
  •  Add carrot, chili powder, sugar, oregano, and red pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes or until thickened and carrot is tender, stirring occasionally.
  •  Partially mash 1 cup beans with a fork or potato masher. Add mashed beans and remaining whole beans to pan; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Spoon 1 cup bean mixture onto bottom half of each roll; top each serving with 1 red onion slice, shredded cabbage and top half of roll.





















Nutritional Information

Amount per serving
  • Calories: 405
  • Fat: 14.4g
  • Saturated fat: 3.2g
  • Monounsaturated fat: 7.5g
  • Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
  • Protein: 19.4g
  • Carbohydrate: 53.3g
  • Fiber: 10.4g
  • Cholesterol: 28mg
  • Iron: 5.1mg
  • Sodium: 633mg
  • Calcium: 148mg


No comments:

Post a Comment