Monday, June 18, 2012

Skinny Overnight Oats in a Jar


A hearty healthy breakfast packed with fiber, vitamins, and nutrients... in a jar (no cooking required)!

Now that the weather is warm, almost every weekday morning after the gym I have either a green smoothie or a bowl of berries, topped with some crunchy granola, nuts and chia seeds with a little almond milk. It's my favorite quick breakfast and fills me up.

Overnight Oats in a Jar is very popular on Pinterest these days. Have you tried them? Some add Greek yogurt to their oats for more protein, but personally I'm not a fan of the tangy taste of yogurt in my oatmeal. Since granola is basically toasted oats, I decided to take my favorite morning combination using oats instead of granola and place them in a jar overnight to see how they taste the next day! 

Verdict: after removing the jar from my refrigerator this morning, I let is sit on the counter while I went to the gym to get the chill out of it. Oatmeal was on my mind all morning as I ran on the treadmill and when I got back I was excited to have breakfast right there on my counter waiting for me and I enjoyed every last spoonful! Yum!


True story: My younger brother had very high cholesterol (he's thin) in his 30's and was able to lower it by over 100 points without the help of any medication, just buy eating raw oats every morning for about 6 months and getting regular exercise. He also increased some healthy oils, but he swears by the oatmeal. The doctor was amazed because they wanted to put him on Lipitor, but my brother insisted on trying to lower it with diet first to see if he could. Oatmeal has since been a part of his daily breakfast routine.



p.s.- I was never a fan of the taste of Stevia until I tried the liquid drops from NuNaturals. Stevia lovers always told me good things about NuNaturals so when I finally got to try it, I see why. You don't get that bitter aftertaste you get with other brands on the market. You can find it at Whole Foods or online, but if stevia isn't for you, use whatever you prefer in your home, a little brown sugar or maple would also work, or you can leave the sweetener out completely. Enjoy!!

Click Here To See The Full Recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment