Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Garlic Scape Basil Pesto





I went to the farmers market in Union Square this morning where I encountered these garlic scapes. Never seeing these before, I was told they are the shoots that grow from the bulb that eventually straighten out and bloom, and they are only available for a short time. Farmers remove these so the garlic bulb can get more energy to grow larger. These have a milder garlic flavor than garlic cloves, similar to a green onion, but with a garlic taste. The vendor at the market told me you can replace garlic in recipes or you can make a pesto which you can use on bread, in risotto, pasta, bruschetta, etc. I will now be purchasing these scapes on a regular basis if I can find them!

Click Here To See The Full Recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment