Monday, January 3, 2011

Gingered Millet with Japanese Veggies. Detox, Day 1

I'm not going to call it a New Year's Resolution per say, but more of a cry for help. Out of sheer and desperate need to fit into my clothes again I've decided to kick it into gear. We already eat mostly healthy most of the time but I have to admit that there are many things I need to re-evaluate about what I put into my mouth every day and my lack of exercising as of late. I've been content with blaming it on being a busy mom, having other priorities and most recently the Holiday's. I need to stop making excuses and start doing, like I said before, it's a wardrobe emergency!

So I've browsed the Internet for detox and diet strategies which are plentiful right now and found some great tips and wonderful recipes and snack ideas. Nothing drastic, I don't believe in diets in general but rather being very conscience of what your eating and making it a Goal for Life. More Raw veggies and fruits and whole grains. Less meat, NO processed foods or sugars or refined carbs. My body and mind are crying for this. I'm listening my friend.

So join me on my journey over the next few weeks of extra healthy snacks and meals. I'll be sharing not only the best recipes that will have you feeling your best but also tips and tricks I've learned along the way!

I would really appreciate any and all tips or thoughts on what's worked for you as well!









 Recipe slightly adapted from Whole Living


TIME   40 MINUTES     SERVES  4-6
You Will Need: 


1 cup millet
One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
2-3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 cup water 
1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
1 small bok choy, chopped and rinsed well under cool water
1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
3 scallions, thinly sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds

DRESSING
3 tablespoons sesame oil  (could use extra virgin olive oil also)
3 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar




Putting it All Together:
• Place millet and ginger in a small saucepan. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and water. Bring to a boil, stir once, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork, add beans.


• Steam shiitakes in a steamer over boiling water, covered, for 3 minutes. Add carrots and bok choy and steam 4 to 6 minutes more. Remove steamer from heat.

• In a small bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar to make dressing. Season with a dash of salt.


• Transfer millet to bowls and garnish with steamed and remaining raw vegetables. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over top and sprinkle with sunflower seeds




PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE



Tips:
  1.  Make sure to steam and NOT stir fry veggies, this is obviously much healthier and part of the 'detox'.
  2. Make an extra cup of millet and save for 'the day after tomorow' for a healthy whole grain breakfast with added nuts and fruit.
  3. Chop extra cabbage and green onions and save for easy salad toppings



Keep a journal of your thoughts, progress and struggles!







I'm sending this over to Hearth and Soul  for her home made and healthy blog hop!
Also to Fresh, Clean and Pure Friday's at La Bella Vita!
 Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday's
My Sweet and Savory Meatless Monday's
 So many great ideas!


hearthandsoulgirlichef








ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment